Thursday, February 24, 2011

Getting the Ball Rolling

I'm sitting in my dorm room, thinking long and hard about what I want from life, and how to go about getting what I want. It's been a profound few days for me, and I feel as though I've made a lot of progress in figuring out where my true passions lie, and what effect those passions have on my life outside of simple hangout time. I love video games. Probably a bit too much, honestly. At least, that's what I've always thought, and what I've always been told. It wasn't until just recently that I had an epiphany about the gaming industry--there are people that work in it.

WAIT. BACK UP. You mean...I could do something related to video games...for a JOB? FOR MONEY? I'm SO in.

That was basically my thought process, less a few of my more poignant thoughts on the subject. All I really know at this point is that I want to be the guy that goes to E3 and interviews developers of big upcoming games and gets to walk the floor and demo all the latest and greatest titles. I want to witness that spectacle, and I want to tell other people about it. I want to be the guy that gets an advance copy of a game, plays it, and then gives a brutally honest opinion about it so consumers will know whether that game they've been hyped up for is actually going to turn out to be a steaming pile of crap. And, perhaps most importantly, I want to work in an environment surrounded by people who share my passion. I want to have a career that I'm genuinely happy to be a part of. That's the true definition of success, in my opinion. Doing what you love is far more important than doing what gets you a huge paycheck. So yes, I could go on in my dreadfully boring Engineering major, or I could change majors to something like accounting or another business related field where corporate possibilities are limitless. Or, I could strive for what I love. I could become what I've always wanted to be.

All that being said, I realize that one does not simply walk into video game journalism. It's a long road, and a tough one. One filled with stress and probably a fair share of menial freelance writing until there's a chance to get noticed by someone. I felt as though a blog would be a good way to start my journey, and here I am. So. To clarify, this is not a blog about me (despite seeming that way for this first post). I will be writing reviews on any new games I pick up, and previewing titles that I'm excited for. I'll try to spice it up every once in a while with an editorial or something off the wall too, but expect everything you see here to be about games.

So, with that, I will say welcome to Level Up. My blog about gaming. I hope to be posting some reviews of games I'm currently playing soon. Not that anyone is reading this yet. We'll get there though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment